What to expect from a meeting
Our meetings are structured but friendly and last for around 2 hours. They take place in local community centres and halls around the City of Bristol. The meetings are run by two trained facilitators who ensure the meetings are run smoothly and safely and that they adhere to our meeting ground rules.
The meetings are relaxed and create a comfortable space where people suffering from mental distress can come and talk to others who share similar problems. On average we have around 8 people attending each meeting we run, although this can vary from meeting to meeting.
What happens at our meetings?
If you attend one of our meetings, you can expect:
- To be greeted and welcomed by the two facilitators who are running the meeting
- During the meeting, everybody in the group will be invited to speak in turn and share what is happening in their lives. You don't have to speak if you don't want to and we encourage those that are socially anxious to come along to gain confidence. Generally people speak for about 10 minutes
- At some point during the meeting, we will spend about 15 minutes discussing a mental health topic designed around Changes Steps to Recovery
- Half way through the meeting there will be a break for tea and coffee
For a more in-depth guide to the structure of one of our meetings, view an example meeting agenda.
Coming for the first time
When coming for the first time we understand that people are very nervous. This is perfectly normal, and if you do not wish to speak that is fine, you can just sit and observe. We want you to feel as safe and as comfortable as possible so that you can get the most out of our meetings.
All of the meetings:
- are completely confidential - what is said in the room, stays in the room
- are free to attend; you don't need to pay anything
- don't require a referral, or any advance booking - you can just turn up on the day. All we ask is that you try to come on time and as far as possible stay for the whole meeting
- you can attend for as many meetings as you need or want to
- are for adults only - you need to be over 18 years of age to attend